In Part 1 of this blog post series, I had shared about the idea of converting one of the common bedroom into a play room for the kids to be able to chill and play in. One of the key advantage about Kids Haven was I am able to customise a bed that could fit nicely into the bedrooms and also be able to attend to my kids needs.
Looking to design your own bed?
Refer to think link for more details. https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/all-things-bed/loft-beds.html
Or read out as you check how we design a bed that meet both our requirements and able to fit into the limited space within our home.
Here's the picture of the room again. The room that we will be designing for the little playhouse. The new kids room for a similar purpose is only about 2.6m *2.4m = 6.24 square meters (including a built in wardrobe). This is less than half the room size of 1 of the kids bedroom in my old home of about 13 square meters.
Here's my needs for this room:
1. It will be like a little play house and be able to accommodate my youngest daughter Kitchen play toys (existing ones).
2. It had to be able to fit the kids school bags and books.
3. It had to be able to fit a toy organiser that sorts all their chapbarang toys.
4. It had to be fitted with tall guards so that they will not fall off.
5. It had to be of a comfortable height so that when we had adults upstairs with them, they will not find the ceiling to be too low.
6. It had to be of a stable structure so that the kids can play in peace in the room even when we are not able to watch them.
7. It had to be able to fit into the room maximising its full space and yet allow us to move around in the room freely and without having the need to take down the pre existing built in wardrobe.
A handful of requirements right?!
I took in a number of considerations, eg the existing room size. And even measured my daughter's toys, existing furnitures, planning what goes where, etc before concluding the final bed size for this bedroom. This bed was made slightly bigger than usual mattresses so that we could allow the kids a little more space to play round with.
After my home project was featured, we had more requests for similar playhouses such as this to be created. I will be sharing them at the end of this post.
Pardon me for the sketchy sketch, heres an overlay of the design that was designed for the Playhouse room.
1. This bed was made based on a loft bed with a bottom height of 1.3m, not too low for a child or an adult to pass through. It is also based on a mattress size of 190*120cm. 190cm length is a standard mattress length. Should the kids outgrow the playhouse bed, we could always pair it with a mattress on either the upper deck or the lower deck or both later.
2. The bottom height measurement was determined based on a few factors, height needed for an adult to sit comfortably upstairs without knocking the head and the overall height of the bedroom. The height of the bedroom is 2.7m. The bottom height was 1.3m with a 10cm space for the bed base. Hence a balance height of 1.3m balance is left.
More rug designs can be found here: https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/floor-solutions.html
3. The bedguard was designed with a 1m height from bed base to roof tip leaving a 30cm space from the ceiling for some room allowance. Gaps were also made in between so that the adults are able to watch over the kids activities from a distance. We created a little window in the centre of the bed so that the kids could have a house made belief feel too. The most important factor was the guard was high enough to prevent the child from falling when playing on the bed.
4. The bed side rails was designed with the kids initials on it.
5. A simpler guard was made at the back of the bed. However, as there were sliding doors in place, we ensured the guard remained high to protect the kids in the event the door was open.
6. A storage step ladder was designed based on the size of the kids school bags and books. Note: instead of the usual drawer ladders, storage ladders are actually better in maximising space as drawers will have some space used up for internal hard ware such as the tracks, the wooden boards and other stuff. Storage shelves not only allow you the flexibility to specify each column space, you are also able to specify the height that you want for the stuff you wish to designate them for. Some even had hanging rods installed for clothes storage.
7. With one end of the bed filled with a storage step ladder, on the other side of the bed, we fitted it with a toy organiser for the kids to store their endless toys with.
For more toy storage ideas, can refer to this link: https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/bookshelves-toy-storage/drawers-toy-storage.html
8. Level 2 was filled with my youngest kitchen playsets, baby toys and many others.
9. In order to hide the mess from the kids toys, we paired the bed with a house theme curtains. Adding more fun to the kids playhouse. Can refer to this link for the bed accessories designs: https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/all-things-bed/bed-accessories.html
In order to be in line with the Playhouse theme, we fitted the bedroom with a clouds design wallpaper in order to make the room look cosier and more spacious. The ceiling was also matched with a rainbow ceiling light in order to create the playhouse feel. Can refer to this link for an offering of cute bedroom lights: https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/children-lightings.html
As for the existing built in wardrobe provided by the condo, we kept it simple by pasting some wall decals on it to match with the room theme. We have some wall decals available here: https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/wall-solutions.html
Does this looked familiar from the first post? This was one of the old furniture shifted from the old home.
Can refer to this link for the cute drawers: https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/bookshelves-toy-storage/drawers.html
The playhouse helped to maximise the kids play space by double. The kids were able to chill or play either upstairs or downstairs since there were some space for them. The toy storage space was also doubled because of the loft bed design. We had lots of flexibility with the added size and freedom to change the toys and order. The playhouse had been a favourite for the kids playmates and guests and had housed as many as 6 to 8 kids at a time with kids scattered on both lower and upper decks.
As a general idea, a house loft bed like this would cost almost $2000. A simpler loft bed design starts from only $858. For more details or ideas of loft beds, you can refer to this link: https://www.kidshaven.sg/products/all-things-bed/loft-beds.html
More designs of similar loft beds like this playhouse could be found below. Scroll on for more pictures.
We hoped you had find this post on the conversion of a playroom helpful. We will be sharing the making of a sleeping cum storage bedroom in the next post. Also known as the Underwaterworld room. We had designed a QUEEN size loft bed with storage space and shelves.
Stay Tune for part 3 also the last part of this 3 series kids bedroom blog post.
This post is brought to you by Kids Haven. www.kidshaven.sg. Visit us at 166 Joo Chiat Road or Westgate Shopping Mall #04-14 for more designs inspirations.